3-5 Core Curriculum - American History: Volume 3 - Westward Expansion and Civil War
This is Volume III of the three part 3-5 Core Curriculum American History series.
In this fun and interactive unit study designed to meet and exceed state and national standards, your children will explore life in the United States during the 1800s. With over 75 multi-sensory activities, your children will be fascinated from beginning to end. Each chapter includes a variety of activities, including videos, hands-on projects, map work, interactive websites, readings, worksheets, charts, games, and much more to make learning history fun and relevant!
This unit study is part of our history core curriculum series for grades 3-5. The time needed to complete this unit study will vary for each child, but you should expect to spend approximately 50 hours.
Take a peek inside:
- Manifest destiny
- The Santa Fe, Oregon, and Mormon Trails
- Transportation innovations
- Native American removal policies
- Texas independence
- The Mexican-American War
- The Gold Rush
- Slavery in the United States
- The abolitionist movement
- Missouri Compromise of 1820
- Dred Scott case
- John Brown at Harperís Ferry
- Lincolnís rise to the presidency
- Causes of the Civil War
- Major battles of the Civil War
- Life of a soldier
- Women in the Civil War
- The home front during the war
- The Emancipation Proclamation
- Massachusetts 54th
- Reconstruction goals
- Carpetbaggers and scalawags
- Racism during the Reconstruction era
- Westward expansion after the war
- Buffalo Soldiers
- Cowboys and the American West
- Battle of Little Bighorn
- Wounded Knee Massacre
- The closing of the American frontier
- and much more!
All activities in this unit study are presented in an easy to follow format with an active and updated web link. Click on the link and the best resources on the World Wide Web appear for your children. But this unit study is not just a collection of web sites to read! It is much more than that! The links bring the world to your children by providing streaming videos, interactive web sites, educational games, audio files, and more. At Intellego Unit Studies, we believe in the varied learning styles and multiple intelligences of every child. That's why all of our unit studies include reading and writing activities, videos, art, comparisons, drawing and painting, discussions, hands-on activities, art projects, full-color high resolution graphics, printable activity pages, and more!